Memoir Reading Book Review (Let Me Hear Your Voice)

I think I exceptionally loved this book for one reason: The struggle of Catherine was transparent and honest from beginning to end.  This book was not just about a success story of a mother of two autistic children and how they overcame what was told to be impossible to find a cure, but the mistakes, misery, tears, as well as the joy and victory of this journey to fight autism.  Many times I feel that parents are devastated by the news of autism and can go into two extremes of feeling it will never get better or thinking that their child will miraculously better.  It is through Catherine we are able to see that the cure was nothing near a miracle, but pure effort that occurred through time.  Catherine concludes this book by reminding parents that there is no miracle cure and that recovery from autism is a long, painful process. She reminds parents that each child will need a therapy that works specifically for them and not one is necessarily better than the other.  She also reminds the parents that it is not to blame someone, but to fight this with your child as one team.  I felt it was so encouraging to see a story of a mother who is more than willing to expose her mistakes and flaws to encourage parents of other autistic children and enable them to feel okay about the mistakes they might be feeling guilty for.  This book really resounds that honesty is the best medicine for the broken heart of the parents that are struggling to fight autism with their child.  Through this book, if I were a parent of a child with autism, I would find comfort and encouragement in knowing that it is not about curing my child, but finding the best method to help my child successfully adapt to a way of living that they feel most comfortable in.